Dislocation is a bone that has been removed from a joint. This can happen spontaneously or from trauma and may have associated fractures.
- Follow the Basic First Aid Plan to assess the casualty
- Check for circulation in the injured limb.
- DO NOT TRY TO PUT THE DISLOCATION BACK IN PLACE.
- If an Ambulance is required – call immediately
- Splint or sling injured part if possible.
- Consider applying bulky padding over the site.
- Apply cold pack to reduce swelling, elevate injured part if possible.
- Seek medical aid.
Signs and Symptoms
- Inability to move
- Tenderness over joint.
- Swelling and discolouration around the joint occurs rapidly.