Anaphylaxis is a sudden and severe allergic reaction, and is caused by contact to an allergen such as food, medicines or an insect bite. Although death is rare, anaphylaxis requires emergency treatment. Anaphylaxis can be influenced by exercise, heat, and the amount of food eaten and digested.

Signs and Symptoms may include:

Mild to Moderate Reaction:

  • Swelling of lips, face, or eyes
  • Hives, welts or a rash
  • Nausea

Severe Allergic Reaction:

  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Swelling and tightness of the throat
  • Tongue may swell
  • Unconsciousness
  • Mild to moderate reaction:
  • Feeling of being unwell
  • Abdominal pain
  • Itchiness
  • Noisy breathing – wheeze or cough. The same as Asthma attack.
  • Pale, cold, clammy skin – shock
  • Difficulty in talking

Allergens causing an anaphylactic reaction:

  • Foods: peanuts and nuts, shellfish and fish, milk, yeast and eggs
  • Insect bites: bees, wasps, jumping jack ants, red fire ants
  • Medication: penicillin, aspirin, codeine, antibiotics, morphine
  • Latex: gloves, party balloons, swimming hats, goggles, condoms

For more detailed information on the treatment of Anaphylaxis, please download the brochure below.